Monday, January 05, 2004

The Year in Movies - Top 10 lists all around! By Manohla Dargis, David Edelstein, Jim Hoberman, Sarah Kerr, and A.O. Scott:

"'Please discuss Mel Gibson's Passion,' writes one reader. I can't: I haven't seen it. And I'm frankly dreading its release and the pots of anti-Semitic mail I'll doubtless get if I respond in any way except religious conversion. I don't doubt Mel Gibson's belief, his--if you will--passion; but I also think he has a bit of a fixation on excruciating martyrdom. He's all but crucified in his Lethal Weapon movies, and in Braveheart he gets to be drawn and quartered while shouting 'Freedom!' I suppose I betray my Jewish psychiatric roots here, but I'd love to hear him think aloud on this subject.

"If there's anyone I haven't pissed off, here's a question for J. Hoberman. You wrote, in your review of Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, 'Its hobbituary denouement is gayer than anything in Angels in America.' Dude! Having speculated on Mel Gibson's fixations, can we move on to the erotic life of hobbits?"

No comments: