Saturday, December 13, 2003

More Jack: "My daughter is 13. Lately, all I've been thinking about is, "Would you please get a pair of pants that's not, you know, down below your navel?"

"I don't know if this is a true statistic, but I heard somewhere that there are three times as many single women over 40 as single men. That's what we got from the women's movement. The chickens have come home to roost"

"I'm a pretty liberal Democrat, but I'm not after Bush the way all the rest of them are. I was alive in WWII we turned off all the lights, as if people might come running up the beach. In that climate what else were you going to do? We didn't have a choice then. And we don't really have one now. I don't know what else Bush can do. We just have to see how it goes."

"I respect the social graces enormously. How to pass the food. Don't yell from one room to another. Don't go through a closed door without a knock. Open the doors for the ladies. All these millions o simple household behaviors make for a better life. We can't be in constant rebellion against our parents--it's just silly. I'm very well mannered. It's not an abstract thing. It's a shared language of expectations.

"I'm of the age where we didn't have television as kids. So when I saw my nieces and nephews watching Howdy Doody, Kukla, Fran and Ollie, and so forth I thought the world had gone mad. If you think about those old shows, they all had puppets. And somehow I think, symbolically speaking, that has contributed to a generational lack of personal responsibility. It's why baby boomers are such conspiracy theorists and I'm not. It's why everybody thinks we went to Iraq to get the oil and I don't. I see that as a minor, symbolic generational difference that all adds up to mass movements. People are so frustrated. They don't want to take responsibility for their failures. There's always an excuse, you know? It's always, "I'm this and that's why" or "This happened to me and that's why" Everyone has the impulse to point their fingers elsewhere. They point at the puppet: He did it! Not me!"

Jeanetta: He only thinks he's a liberal!

He also read Treason and didn't diss it in the interview.

I think he's a Zell Miller
Democrat.

No comments: