Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cardinal Tettamanzi's Decalogue Against Temptation

1. Do not forget that the devil exists.
2. Do not forget that the devil is a tempter.
3. Do not forget that the devil is very intelligent and astute.
4. Be vigilant concerning your eyes and heart. Be strong in spirit and virtue.
5. Believe firmly in the victory of Christ over the tempter.
6. Remember that Christ makes you a participant in His victory.
7. Listen carefully to the word of God.
8. Be humble and love mortification.
9. Pray without flagging.
10. Love the Lord your God and offer worship to Him only.
(via Sancte Pater)

1 comment:

Warren said...

Great list.

I have lately been trying to consider more thoroughly the consequences of all my actions, to slow myself down, and to use this as a guard against temptation, which us usually a 'knee-jerk' reaction, an ill-considered leap before looking.

I find that the more I consider the consequences, the connections, the doors which close and open, and the way in which temptation almost always leads me to choose something without quite thinking through the consequences of my own actions, but rather mortgaging the future for the sake of that dubious present gain, which the temptation dangles in front of me, that the longer view is the one more resilient.

This is perhaps well summed up by point #4: Being strong in spirit and virtue.

Warren